EATING THE RIGHT FOOD GOES A LONG WAY TOWARD HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
Eat more plant food
- Simply put, eat more vegetables.
- No matter what type of diet you follow, try to include more plant food, like raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, legumes and beans, leafy greens, seeds and whole grains.
- Eating a wide variety of vegetables ensures that you are receiving the best array of vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and even protein for your body.
Eat real food. Minimize boxed, canned, processed, preserved food.
- Focus on foods that are whole, fresh, natural, organic, local, seasonal and unprocessed.
- Eliminate the intake of refined, highly processed food, such as artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, sweeteners, sugars, and hydrogenated fats. The simple elimination alone of soft drinks, and excessive fruit juices, will improve your body composition, blood glucose control, and weight control.
Eat low fat food.
- Get your healthy fats from plant sources, such as nuts, coconuts and avocados. Don’t skimp on the fish oil or flax seed.
- Minimize greasy oils and processed fats. Go light on salad dressing.
- Choose leaner meats. Or substitute seafood, pork, turkey, or chicken.
Eat nutrient dense food.
- Pick foods that are rich in minerals and vitamins when compared to their total caloric content. Think avocado, not twinkie.
- Build your eating habits around plant-based foods to ensure highly nutrient-dense meals.
- Choose foods with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants.