Sleep apnea is a medical condition that affects men and women as they sleep. This disorder causes an individual to pause or cease their breathing for a small amount of time. These pauses or cessation of breath can last anywhere for a few seconds to a minute or more. This is a chronic condition that typically causes poor quality of sleep, snoring, and tiredness. Sleep apnea is a very serious medical concern that often flies under the radar because an individual cannot monitor their own sleep patterns, and this is not a condition that can be seen during routine medical checkups. Sleep apnea requires treatment through a qualified medical location. Men’s Vitality Center in Glendale has been helping patients control their sleep apnea for years.
There are two types of sleep apnea; obstructive and central. Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common, and causes the most medical concerns. Below are a few sleep apnea treatment options offered through the Glendale location of Men’s Vitality Center:
- Weight Loss: Individuals who are overweight often suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. Decreasing weight typically improves sleep apnea and it’s detrimental effects.
- CPAP Unit: CPAP units creates positive airway pressure. This means that the airway will remain open as long as the machine is pumping air into the throat.
- Oral Guards: Custom mouth guards are usually an option for individuals who suffer from mild sleep apnea. The mouthpiece creates a small adjustment of the jaw that helps keep the airway open during sleep.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Avoiding alcohol will help the airway stay open at night. Avoiding sedation type medications will also help the airway stay open. Side-sleeping puts less pressure on the throat and airway. Smokers are also advised to quit.
- Surgical Intervention: Severe forms of sleep apnea that cannot be controlled with CPAP units often require surgical intervention to widen breathing passages.
Contact Men’s Vitality Center in Glendale to speak with a physician about sleep apnea and possible treatment programs. Your health and well-being is worth the visit.